Jacinda Bayne works and lives in Fremantle, Perth, West Australian. She graduated in 1997 from Otago Art School with a Bachelor of Fine Arts, majoring in painting. Since then Jacinda has travelled extensively, holding studios in Scotland, NZ and Australia before settling in Perth in 2002. She has been involved in several art residences including her latest trip to Perth’s sister City Chengdu, China where her work is displayed in the International Museum in Tianfu Square. Over the past 6 years Jacinda has held regular solo exhibitions as well as participating in many group exhibitions. Jacinda has recently completed a 5 year residency with Artsource in Fremantle and now works at PSAS Studios in Fremantle. She describes herself as an emotive colourist. The endless search of creating the ultimate utopia through a combination of colour and landscape. Producing work that creates escapism through process and imagery.
David Hinchliffe has built a successful international career exhibiting in Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, United States, UK and Europe since returning to full-time painting in 2012.
While he won numerous art awards early in his career (eg Sunday Mail Magazine Award, Gemini Art Award and Atlantic City Sculpture Award), he also pursued a 25 year career in local government where David rose to the position of Brisbane City Council Deputy Mayor. He has had more than 75 solo exhibitions, including sell-out shows in New York, Hong Kong and London. His principal subjects are the streets of some of the world's most famous cities -- New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Marrakech, Havana and of course his hometown of Brisbane. He enjoys painting landscapes and has been a finalist in the Tattersalls landscape prize for 12 years.. He also likes figurative work, including the portrayal of Buddhist monks of Luang Prabang, the mysterious figures of the kasbah in Marrakech or street vendors in Havana.He focuses on the interplay of light and shade and tries to capture the atmosphere and impression of whichever city or country he is in. He has been inspired by artists such as Jeffrey Smart, Streeton, Hockney and Monet.He lives in Brisbane but spends part of each year painting in New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Havana and London as well as other exotic locations.
ABOUT HIS PROCESS
I approach painting simply. A blank canvas can put off many artists. Making that first stroke can be intimidating, just as facing a blank page can be an obstacle for an author. To avoid this I begin by covering the whole of the canvas surface with an infusion of vivid acrylic colours. I build up the painting from that point with darker and lighter tones until forms are sufficiently revealed. I stress ‘sufficiently’ because I strongly resist completely revealing all details of a scene. Something should be left to the imagination. I believe passionately that an artist should present about 80% of the image and allow the viewer to fill in the remaining 20%. The artist creates the basic shapes, but the real magic happens when the imagination of the viewer fills in the detail.